Happy Fourth of July!
As a nation, we have a lot of work to do, no doubt about it. America is far from perfect. All nations and kingdoms have their shortcomings. The only perfect kingdom is the Kingdom of God.
It’s uplifting to acknowledge the good in our nation. Don’t we all need to be uplifted right now? We have much for which to be thankful! Every good thing is a gift from God, including the good gifts that are ours as citizens of the United States. The Bible teaches us to accept all of God’s gifts with gratitude.
1 Timothy 4:4-5: “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving.”
Here are 10 things (of many) about America for which I’m thankful:
- Freedoms – freedom of religion, freedom of speech
- The brave men and women of our military
- Natural beauty of every kind from sea to shining sea
- Our entrepreneurial spirit and innovation
- Volunteerism and generosity
- Infrastructure – accessibility to roads, electricity, clean water, indoor plumbing
- A rich culture of music, food, and entertainment
- The sense of possibility – that anyone can achieve great things through hard work
- The privilege of voting in elections
- A Christian heritage
What would you add to the list?